A new 4-H year is here! Enrollment opens soon for new and returning members to join 4-H for the 2023-2024 enrollment year. Plumas and Sierra counties have several clubs available, which offer many different projects and activities, reports Callie Steffanic, communications officer for the Sierra Valley 4-H Club. “Members will develop important leadership, citizenship and life skills, strengthen friendships and community partnerships, and have fun while doing it!” she said.
4-H provides opportunities for kids from 5 to 19 years old. 4-H is about more than just animals; projects include everything from arts and crafts to cooking, community service to photography, and more.
“4-H is a fun program that teaches important skills at the same time,” said Steffanic. Members have the opportunity to hold leadership roles, such as on committees and as club officers. Members also have the opportunity to develop skills like public speaking, community service, and teamwork. 4-H also hosts events throughout the year where members get together for recreation, and they can also enter to compete at events such as those at the Plumas-Sierra County Fair.
Steffanic reports that the Sierra Valley 4-H Club in Vinton/Chilcoot offers the following projects: beef, swine, sheep, dairy goat, market goat, rabbit and cavy, poultry, dog, photography, sewing, cooking, advanced cake decorating, arts and crafts, and food preservation. Some of these projects, such as the dog project, are shared with other clubs. “That means if there’s something a member wants to learn that isn’t offered through Sierra Valley, they can still join our club and may be able to take the project through another area club anyway!” said Steffanic.
Plumas-Sierra 4-H club enrollment meetings are as follows:
- American Valley 4-H: Wednesday, Sept. 13, 6:30 p.m. in Quincy. Contact Gina McGirr for more information at (530) 283-4130.
- Echo 4-H: Monday, Sept. 11, 6:30 p.m. in Loyalton. Contact April Burns for more information at (916) 580-4662.
- Indian Valley 4-H: Monday, Sept. 18, 7 p.m. in Taylorsville. Contact Heidi Kingdon for more information at email@example.com.
- Las Plumas 4-H: Tuesday, Sept. 19, 6 p.m. in Portola. Contact Holly Taylor for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sierra Valley 4-H: Tuesday, Sept. 5, 6:30 p.m. in Vinton. Contact Jane Roberti for more information at (530) 249-4036.
- Treasure Mountain 4-H: Monday, Sept. 11, 6:30 p.m. in Calpine. Contact Jennifer Kennedy for more information at (530) 250-7308.
- Wolf Creek 4-H: Monday, Sept. 11, 5:30 p.m. in Greenville. Contact Tara Winters for more information at (909) 659-4344.
For more information about 4-H, visit the Plumas-Sierra County 4-H website at https://ucce-plumas-sierra.ucanr.edu/4-H/.
Information submitted by Sierra Valley 4-H Club